Saturday, September 01, 2007

Saturday in the park

I am a devoted Phillies fan. At this point in the season I am glued to my radio and/or TV and breathe with each pitch. My son is the same way. He lives in Arlington, VA so he is spared the agony of real time games. Lately however, the Phils have been providing us with anything but agony. This last weeks games (all won by the Phils) have been exciting, nerve wracking and thrilling. My sister claims she has no nails left. Sports really does provide us with so much. As I listen to a game I always think of my mom and dad, who obviously passed the love of baseball on to me; I think of being at the park, I think about the first time I took each of my kids to a game. Memories. Yes, sports gives us memories and emotions that are void of life's worries, stresses and sadness. I am unhappy when the Phils and the Redskins lose and elated when they win. The consequences and results of the game are a kind of external package of feelings. They are real but they don't stem from a personal situation that might be devastating. I often look around the park when I am lucky enough to attend a game and think about how many folks are there, enjoying themselves for the most part and are spending a few hours forgetting about the cares of life. The end result of the game won't have a permanent impact on their tomorrow.

I like the idea that sports is a shared passion. I go to the park with my family and friends and we have time together yelling at umps and refs; we question Uncle Charlie's seemingly stupid decisions; we banter back and forth about how much classier a team the 'Skins are than the Eagles. I can talk to my wonderful son all day long via email about the previous nights game. I relish the fact that he and I share the Phillies as much as we do. It even bonds co workers together for a moment. How many times do folks go in to the office and say to someone, "didya see that game last night? Ryan Howard's homer had to land in Center City".

Its a time away from worrying, a time a way from pain, a time away from less than happy, unchangeable situations. Baseball has been berry berry good to me.

No comments: